PERFECTLY CRISPY PASTRIES.
Rich with tradition and creamy goodness, these Italian pastries are made extra crispy by Everclear which prevents gluten formation in dough.
1 ½ C. All-Purpose Flour, Plus ½ C. For Rolling
¼ C. Granulated Sugar
½ tsp. Cocoa Powder
Pinch of Ceylon Cinnamon
Pinch of Kosher Salt
4 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter, Cold and Cubed
1 Large Egg, Beaten, Plus 1 Egg White
2 Tbsp. Marsala Wine
2 Tbsp. Everclear®
1 Tbsp. White Wine Vinegar
Neutral Fry Oil (Such as Vegetable, Canola or Peanut)
1 ½ C. Sheep Milk Ricotta, Strained Overnight
¼ C. Fine Sugar or Honey
1 Tbsp. Orange Zest
¼ C. Pistachio, Chopped
¼ C. Dark Chocolate, Grated
1. In a medium bowl, whisk or sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt together.
2. Cut butter into flour mixture until pea-sized. This can be done by hand or pulsed by machine.
3. Pour out flour mixture onto countertop and make a well.
4. Add beaten egg, wine, Everclear and vinegar to center of flour well. Whisk in wet ingredients while slowly adding flour. Eventually, the well will break but hold strong until a shaggy dough forms.
5. Using a bench scraper, bring dough together and start kneading. Dough will be sticky and wet. Add extra half cup of flour while kneading to bring dough together. Knead for 7 minutes.
6. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour. Dough can be made the day before.
7. Fill a heavy bottom pot halfway with oil and heat to 375ºF.
8. Get dough from fridge and cut in half. Wrap one half or cover with a wet kitchen towel to avoid skin forming.
9. Roll out other half of dough to 1/8 inch or less. Cut dough with a 3.5 inch round cutter. Wrap dough circles around a metal cannoli tube, brush top edge of dough with egg white and roll to seal the two ends together.
10. Drop cannoli shells into oil three at a time (do not crowd oil). Temperature of oil will drop. Maintain 350 degrees and fry until brown and bubbly.
11. Remove finished cannoli shells from oil and let cool on a sheet pan lined with a paper towel.
12. Slip shells off metal tubes and let cool on a metal rack.
13. Pipe shells with sweetened ricotta, dip one end in pistachio and the other in chocolate.
14. Serve immediately — MANGIA!
Please Enjoy Responsibly.