EASY HOMEMADE CUSTARD DOUGHNUTS
Your Doughnut Cravings: Fulfilled
Bring the county fair right to your kitchen with this delicious custard-filled doughnuts recipe that uses Everclear® to keep doughnuts light and airy.
For the Doughnuts:
3 ¼ C. all-purpose flour
1/3 C. sugar
2 tsp. dry yeast
1 ½ tsp. fine sea salt
3 ½ tsp lukewarm water
3 ½ tsp. Everclear®
½ C. softened butter
Oil for frying (approximately 6 C.)
Sugar for coating
For the Custard Filling:
1 vanilla pod
1 ½ C. whole milk
5 egg yolks
1 C. brown sugar
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour, sifted
⅔ C. heavy cream
To Make the Dough:
- Place all dough ingredients into a stand mixer and mix with dough hook for approximately 10 – 15 minutes until the dough forms a ball and comes away from the sides of the bowl. Continue to beat on a higher setting until the dough is glossy, smooth and elastic.
- Cover the bowl with a tea towel and leave it to rise until it has doubled in size (approximately 1 hour).
- Once the dough has risen, tip it from the bowl and knock it back, kneading it a few times to get the air out.
- Place it back in the bowl, cover again and allow to rise a second time, until it has again doubled in size.
To Make the Custard:
- Place the milk into a pan.
- Cut open vanilla pod and scrape out seeds into the milk. Add in pod.
- Place the egg yolks, sugar and flour into a bowl and whisk together to combine.
- Bring milk to scalding point then remove from heat.
- Slowly pour hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking continuously.
- Once combined, clean out the pan and then pour the mixture through a fine strainer back in.
- Place pan back on heat. Gently warm and continue to whisk until the custard thickens. Once thickened, pour into a bowl to cool.
To Make the Doughnuts:
- When dough has doubled in size, cut into roughly quarter-sized pieces and roll them out into neat balls.
- Place them onto floured trays (spaced evenly) and dust with flour.
- Cover trays loosely with cling wrap. Place the trays in a warm place to let the doughnuts have their final prove, until they are puffed up and risen.
- Using an electric whisk, beat the heavy cream until it reaches medium peaks. Spoon this into the cooled custard and fold together.
- Spoon the custard into a piping bag with a small round nozzle attached. Seal the piping bag and keep in the fridge until later.
- Once the doughnuts have had their final prove, they are then ready to fry. Heat oil in a deep saucepan, heat oil to 350° F. Fill the base of a baking tray with sugar for dusting.
- Using floured hands, carefully lift doughnuts off the tray. Carefully drop into the oil and cook on each side for 2 minutes. Cook in batches.
- Once cooked, remove from oil, drain on paper towels then dust liberally in tray of sugar.
- Once all the doughnuts have been fried and coated in sugar, fill with custard. Using a chopstick, make a hole in the side of each doughnut to the center.
- Take the piping bag and insert the nozzle into the hole and fill the center. Finish with a bit of custard on the outside before serving.
Please Enjoy Responsibly.